Monday, October 28, 2019

Book 11 of 2019 -- Speaking Church

The title of this intrigued me.  So did the subtitle A New Vision for the Sub/Urban Congregation.  Serving in a congregation that is mainly urbanized with some still strong rural roots and links I wondered what Ross had to say.

It was a good read.  The major part of one chapter is a series of case studies/reflections using the letters to the 7 churches in Revelation. And that has me seriously pondering a sermon series on those letters, because I suspect all 7 have something to say to most churches.

I also liked where Ross challenged/counselled sub/urban churches both to look at what the needs of the community actually are and what other groups in the community are doing. Both of these are, I think the way to do good contextual ministry and avoid the "well when we did this it worked (30 or 40 years ago) trap. It also helps us remember that the church can work with other agencies and groups rather than only go it alone.

No comments:

Post a Comment