Friday, April 17, 2020

Book 3 of 2020 -- Denial is My Spiritual Practice (And Other Failures of Faith)

When I first started this blog 15 years ago (give or take a few weeks) I started reading other blogs. One of those was one written by Martha Spong (though it was not for a few years that I learned her actual name because many people were at least pseudo-anonymous in the blogosphere of the day) and I have read her writing ever since. SO when I heard she had co-written this book I put it on my "I should get that some day" list. Someday came and when I was looking for a different sort of read I decided this would be it.

This is a memoir of sorts. Each chapter has Martha and Rachel sharing a story around a "failure of faith" (for the record I am not sure many them I would call failures, challenges maybe). The stories are honest, and sometimes raw, and always touch the heart. They also pushed me to ask why they were resonating with me, which pushed me as a reader to explore the questions the authors were raising/wrestling with. I am pretty sure that is the whole point. 

Very good read. Easy read but also challenging read. I like that in a book.

No comments:

Post a Comment