Thursday, July 07, 2022

Book 4 of 2022 -- The Art of Gathering

 


Why do we gather? How can we make out gatherings more meaningful? What mistakes do we make that take away from our gatherings? These are important questions for the church to ask. Mind you I think we so often fall into repetition and habit and tradition that we don't stop to ask them. And more importantly ,we forget to ask if the answers maybe have changed over time.

To be totally honest, while I sort of knew that these were important questions they were not things I routinely considered (probably still are not). But when I saw this book I realized there was something we needed to talk about as we try to find the way forward for the church these days.

I actually think most leaders should read this book as part of their planning processes. I really do wonder how it might change our Sunday morning gatherings, or our governance meetings, or our social events. Do we really have a clear purpose for why we are there? Do we have a plan to create an alternate space/reality for a period of time? Do we transition in and out of the space clearly and well? Often I think the answer is no when it could be yes.

I may have to re-read sections of this one if I want to re-vision how Sunday morning worship could work....

No comments:

Post a Comment