Sunday, July 14, 2024

Book 8 of 2024 -- Sacred Earth, Sacred Soul

 


There is something deep in my heart that seems to resonate with Celtic Spirituality. Always has been in fact. So when I happened across this book while browsing one day earlier this year, I decided add it to my cart.

To the best of my memory this is the first book by Newell that I have read, though I know I have heard the name before (I would have to check my shelf at the church to see if I have another one of his). In this book he uses a variety of Celtic saints and leaders over the centuries to explore some aspects of Celtic Christian Spirituality. Some of them are names I have known of for years, though not always been really familiar with their way of thinking. Others were people I heard of first when reading this book.

The overarching premise of the book is that of finding/recognizing the sacred in a variety of places. Much of Western Christianity (Roman Catholic and Reformed churches) has tried to limit the sacred to the realm of the church. Celtic Christianity has a broader view of where the sacred might be seen and found. I agree with the latter point of view. In some ways I wonder how the Celtic approach (which was intentionally quashed by the Roman Church in the Middle Ages, indeed I would suggest that quashing the remnants of Celtic Christian though is part of why the Pope allowed Henry II to invade Ireland, thus beginning a bloody centuries long struggle) might tie in to some of Christian mysticism (which has also long been viewed with suspicion by the church).

Over and over again as I was reading I found myself vigorously nodding in agreement. The chapters of Pelagius, Brigid, and Pierre Teilhard de Chardin were most notable for this. Each chapter ended with a meditative exercise focusing on the theme of that chapter which are all compiled into an appendix and I may have to go back and revisit those as time goes by.

Certainly a book I would endorse for a gentle, meditative read.

No comments:

Post a Comment