Monday, January 14, 2013

Book 17 of 2012/1 of 2013 Wait: The Art and Science of Delay

I remember first hearing about this book several weeks before I bought it either by hearing an interview on the radio or reading and article online.  And the idea intrigued me, having read Malcolm Gladwell's Blink a few years ago this seemed like a logical follow up.  Particularly since I tend to be a procrastinator/work to the deadline type of person.

The whole premise of the book is about knowing when and how long to delay.  Whether it be an elite athlete delaying in the area of microseconds to choose when to swing at a ball, or a comedian knowing just when to spring the punch line, or a public figure knowing when to apologize in the midst of scandal, it is all about the proper amount of delay.

I really like this book.  I should probably read it again to absorb it better.  In a world where so often we (as individuals and as organizations) are pushed to make a decisions NOW it is good to remind ourselves that sometimes, or even most of the time, taking time to allow the decision to be made well is a better thing.  I heartily endorse this book as a way to improve our decision making ability.


No comments:

Post a Comment