Tuesday, August 08, 2017

Book 7 of 2017 -- The Three Musketeers

Because sometimes you just need to read a classic...

I have actually been working on this for a couple of months now. After all these classic novels are not short. This one, mind you is much more of an escapist adventure tale than something as deep in social commentary as say Les Miserables or Tale of Two Cities.

I had previously seen the 1993 movie version  starring Charlie Sheen and have watched most of the episodes of this TV series. I greatly enjoyed the latter. So I had a familiarity with the characters. However, now that I have read the original novel I am not sure that the writers of those pieces ever read it.

OTOH, the novel lacks the grand climactic fight scene you want for a movie. And to limit oneself to the novel would hardly leave you enough material for an ongoing series...

Sometimes you have to read a classic. And this is a good one to choose.  Next on the list is Dumas' follow-up novel The Man in the Iron Mask.

No comments:

Post a Comment