For Lent this year I have resolved to blog more. And so doing the Friday Five for the first time in a LOOOOOONG time fits that goal...
1. Oddly this year, the second day of
Lent was Valentine's Day. How was this for you? Was Valentine's Day any
different being in Lent? Truthfully made no difference either way.
2. Did you celebrate Mardi Gras/Shrove Tuesday this year? Any memories of memorable celebrations past? this congregation always has a Pancake supper co-planned/hosted by the Men's Breakfast group and the Outreach committee. This year the proceeds are going to support the Canadian Foodgrains Bank. When I was young the United Church building was shared with the local Anglican congregation. The one event a year that was shared between the two congregations was the Shrove Tuesday pancake supper.
3. How about Ash Wednesday, past and/or present? Never have done much for Ash Wednesday. In fact I remember exactly once (outside of seminary) where I was at a service on that day, and that was because it was the year we were experimenting with an evening service the last Wednesday of the month in a year when Ash Wednesday happened to be the last Wednesday of February.
4. Do you have a personal plan of give-ups, take-ons, special ministries, and/or a special focus for your own spiritual growth between now and Easter? I have signed up for this (but have yet to read about any of the acts), and I have committed to try to blog much more frequently.
5. Do you have a book or a website you are reading often during Lent? Nothing yet, although I would like to get much farther through Saving Paradise before Easter