Tuesday, February 20, 2007

I Like this Idea

Australia has announced it will ban incandescent light bulbs in three years in an effort to reduce greenhouse gas emissions, becoming the first country to do away with this technology, which has been in use for more than a century.

This is the sort of thing we need to make change real. Maybe a total ban is a little over the top (there are places where flourescents are not appropriate (a dimmer switch for example) but sometimes people need a little push.

3 comments:

  1. I like it, too. I bought a batch of the new "green" florescent lights and am replacing the incandescents with them as they go out. It's an easy way to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. We're doing that, too, one bulb at a time. I'm getting used to seeing a strangely sallow me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live in California, which is contemplating a ban on incadescents. We have started buying compact flourescents, too, but recently learned that there is a serious disability issue with flourescents--they can be very triggering and traumatizing for autistic people. So a ban would be dangerous and hurtful for that community.

    ReplyDelete