Monday, October 27, 2008

Advent Thoughts

It is that time of year again, time to think about how to celebrate Advent/Christmas.

I am thinking that the overarching theme this year will be Be Not Afraid. Here is what I have thus far:

Nov 30 -- Be Not Afraid, a new world is coming
Scriptures:
  • Isaiah 65:17-23
  • Revelation 21:1-4 (Responsive Reading)
  • Mark 13:24-37
Dec 7 -- Be Not Afraid, Prophetic Peace be with you
Scriptures:
  • Isaiah 11:1-10
  • Psalm 72 (VU p.790)
  • Luke 3:7-18
Dec 14 -- Be Not Afraid, sing for joy
  • Pageant Sunday
Dec 21 -- Be Not Afraid Justice shall be done
Scriptures:
  • Luke 1:47-55 (VU p.898)
  • Luke 1:68-79 (VU p.900)
  • Isaiah 61:1-4, 8-11
Dec 24 -- Be Not Afraid, the Baby means change
Scriptures:
  • Isaiah 9:2-7
  • Luke 1:26-38
  • Luke 2:1-14
At least that is a start. I may try to do more work on it and find that it is undoable. But that is why you start these thoughts early...

4 comments:

  1. Gord, I'm still adjusting to being back at work on severely limited hours, and I feel like it's the first week of September. I have never felt quite so unorganized or discombobulated (is that a word?).

    If I give you appropriate and well-deserved credit for the theme and resources, may we use this at Westminster. If so, you will have saved me hours (which I don't have) of angst and worry over what to do about Advent, WHICH IS JUST AROUND THE CORNER!!!!

    Sorry, brief panic there...

    ReplyDelete
  2. OF Course you can Sue.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really like "Do not Be Afraid"...look forward to seeing the liturgy etc you do with this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. THe candle liturgy for this theme is now up at my worship blog

    ReplyDelete