Friday, October 10, 2008

Travelling FIve

...for today's Friday Five, you're invited to share your experiences with the exciting, challenging world of business travel....

1. Does your job ever call for travel? Is this a joy or a burden? Frequently. 2x a year we travel to Presbytery meetings, once a year to the annual Conference meeting (whole family goes to those, the Beloved is a church court junkie too). Then there are various other meetings to attend, and sometimes even a con-ed event to attend. It is both enjoyable and a burden at the same time.

2. How about that of your spouse or partner? Beloved joins in as above, and also on some con-ed travelling. However her job is child-care for our three (Princess, Scalliwag, and Monkey) So little out of town travel called for there.

3. What was the best business trip you ever took? This is a tie. One would be a meeting that took me to Toronto 4 years ago. A couple of nights in downtown TO with the national church footing the bill. The other would be a con-ed event in Halifax the next spring. Beloved and I both went and made a trip out of it.

4. ...and the worst, of course? When I first joined a conference committee plane flights were not helpfully scheduled. So to save the church the cost of a hotel room and to get myself back sooner I decided to take an overnight bus to Big City, attend the day-long meeting, and then overnight bus back. I did that twice before deciding it was a really bad idea. Luckily plane schedules changed to make it possible to fly there and back the same day as the meeting (then I left the committee and took on a different role anyway).

5. What would make your next business trip perfect? What makes any trip perfect? I don't know. Relaxing travel and a smooth meeting? Anyway the next trip happens to be next week...

5 comments:

  1. I am so pleased that you loist caring for your children as a job!!! As a mother of 5 I could give you a hug!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you only have to go to Presbytery twice a year. Lucky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Now to be fair each of those meetings is 12 hours on Friday and another 8 on Saturday. Thne the meeting doesn't officially close until after worship on Sunday. Same with our Conference AGM

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can only echo Gord on the twice a year thing Teri.

    Those 12 hour days are killers.

    I think it's unfortunate that our Conference is so large and has so little money. There should be more people from our Presbytery on ALL of those Conference committees, but they just can't afford the travel for us anymore. I'm sure they appreciated your bus efforts Gord, but in the end, it just works better for them if it all happens in Big City with Big City folks.

    Kind of annoying....

    ReplyDelete