Friday, January 30, 2009

HGTV Friday Five

Over at the RGBP will smama writes:

As some of you may know I am in the midst of my first home purchase. It is a new-build and so some of the fun was picking out upgrades and major decor items to my taste rather than walking into a previously owned home that needed to be upgraded room by room (pink and teal tiles in the bathroom, anyone?). As much as decorating is not my thing, I did try to embrace the moment because just how many times do you get to have a do-over on kitchen cabinets/floors/countertops?


And so, my questions to you this fine Friday involve your home past, present or future...

1) If you could, what room in the place you are currently living would you redo first? I am tempted to say the kitchen because you know, counter space would come in handy. But I would have to say that the 6x6 closet we call a bathroom(the tub takes 1/3 of the space, leaving a 4x6 space with the toilet, sink and "room" for people to stand and walk) takes the prize. The tub surround doesn't seal and so there is a strong suspicion that stuff is growing in the walls. AS it happens this is the next project the Board wants to take on at the manse.

2) What is the most hideous feature/color/decor item you have ever seen in a home? The house we moved into when I was 5 had a strange golden carpet over all the common areas except bathroom and kitchen that had a yellow/gold and green vinyl. But then again in the 1970's this was fashionable. Or there was the lovely rose bathroom fixtures in my first bachelor suite...

3) What feature do you most covet? Do you have it? If not, is it within reach? I grew up in a house with a fireplace and would love to have one again. Although then I would also want the wood fairy to magically provide cut and split firewood each year. I don't see either of those happening in the near future.

4) Your kitchen - love it or hate it? Why? As mentioned above there is a distinct lack of counter space which is a downside. But there is lots of cupboard space. Given the chance it could be a bit bigger to allow for the good sized table we have and room for more counters.

5) Here is $10,000 and you HAVE to spend it on the place you are living now. What do you do? Oh the Chair if the Board would love this one! (living in a manse after all) The house needs to be expanded, bedrooms and bathroom need to be bigger. SO knocking out some walls (partially exterior) and expanding. Also some insulation would be a nice idea.

Truth be told, if I owned the house and lot and had a spare $100 000 I would carefully level it (saving the nice brick for re-use if possible) and then rebuild bigger and more energy efficient than this currently is.


BONUS: Why do you think there was such a surplus of ugly bathroom tile colors showcased in all homes built from the 1950's right through the early 80's? The vagaries of style I'd say. OR maybe there was a higher incidence of colour-blindness in those years.

5 comments:

  1. Gord, are all five of you using that ONE bathroom?
    YIKES!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes all 5 of us plus the dog who usually wants to be where the people are. When all three girls want to brush their teeth at the same time it gets really, um interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. WOW--i don't know how you live with a bathroom like that with so many of you! I'm very impressed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well at least the bath is next on their list. Great play.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I should mention that the PResbytery SEcretary once described this manse to Beloved as having the "smallest manse bathroom in the Presbytery"

    ANd she married me anyway!

    ReplyDelete