Monday, January 26, 2009

Maybe Make it an Illegal Substance???

Last week Ontario banned smoking in a car if children were present (see story here)

Now I understand the logic. I agree with the logic. I agree with the principle of protecting children.

But really what's next? Banning smoking in private homes with children present? (Noting that some agencies already require foster parent homes to be non-smoking buildings) We have already banned smoking in most public enclosed spaces, and there is a drive to ban it in parks and on beaches as well.

If tobacco were presented as a new product now it would never be approved for sale. It is inherently harmful when used as intended after all. Given what we know and what has already been done is it time to ban it altogether?

2 comments:

  1. yup, it's a bit of a slippery slope isn't it? I completely agree with the ban on smoking in the car with children present. But where do you draw the line?

    Tough call, for sure.

    Do I need to add that my late mother smoked through all of her pregnancies (this was back in the 50s when people knew nothing about tobacco) and I'm....um.....short? Related to the smoking? Who knows? I might have been a six foot tall runway model by now...... (stop laughing)

    ReplyDelete
  2. patty says for sure you would have been

    ReplyDelete