Saturday, October 10, 2009

Friday Five on Saturday...

From RGBP
I am pre-posting this because Friday I will be at my new Independent Catholic church's yearly Synod, being welcomed and conditionally re-consecrated to episcopal ministry for this jurisdiction. I leave in a few hours and am spending the morning packing and making last preparations for my preaching, presiding, and teaching during the week. ....This has me thinking of the special rites of passage in our lives which we participate for ourselves or in which we support and bless others: baptism, confirmation, marriage, ordination, graduation, funerals, etc. Such important days, so exciting and joyous, but also sometimes anxiety provoking or deeply painful....So, this week, please share five memories of such sacred moments with God and her holy people from your life and the lives of those you love.

  1.  Palm Sunday 1984 -- the day I was confirmed.  The confirmation class had a retreat on Saturday and Sunday morning I woke early and went out walking in the playground beside the clubhouse where we were staying.  The fog was thick that morning and I had a lovely prayerful walk in the fog around these big concrete tunnels.
  2. August 31 2002 -- wedding day.  OK the day didn't get off to a great start (fight with the UCW about how to set up the hall for the tea -- don't ask) and the pictures were challenging due to a high wind, but at 7pm we gathered in the sanctuary of beloved's childhood church for the service.  The choir sang, the bell choir played, Beloved's childhood clergyperson preached, a hymn (I Was There to Hear Your Borning Cry) was sung, we recessed to You Shall Go Out With Joy.  A great cap to the day.
  3. October 2001 -- my covenanting service with this congregation and this Presbytery, the really official beginning to a ministry that had begun back in July.
  4. MAy 2003, 2004, 2006 -- the births of the girls.  'nuff said.
  5. May 2001 -- my ordination service (and no Conference AGM to attend before hand!!!!)
And so so many more.....the girls baptisms, grandparents funerals, walks by the lake, campfires.......

2 comments:

  1. Lovely list. As for #1 - our youngest son was born four days later the same year.

    ReplyDelete
  2. well you know I am soo much younger than you..... ;)

    ReplyDelete