Monday, September 10, 2007

Is God a Delusion?

Well that post title should get some interesting hits. Anyway, while reading the Lectionary Readings for this week I was especially struck by the first line of Psalm 14: Fools say in their hearts, "There is no God.".

Given the amount of press given to Richard Dawkins et al recently I thought I would address the topic. The sermon title is The God Delusion. (Went out and bought a copy of the book this morning, will read parts of it this week as part of my preparation.)

Anyway, here are some liturgy pieces for anyone as foolhardy as I seem to be:

OPENING PRAYER
God, are you there?
Really? You are here, with us, in this place?
Well here we are, trusting that our faith is not a delusion.
Here we sing and pray and listen for your voice.
God, you are there…right?
During this time fill our hearts with love, our spirits with hope. Please? In Jesus name we pray. Amen.

OFFERING PRAYER
Gracious God, we meet you in many places, we hear you in many voices. What we have heard and experienced leads us to share these, our gifts, for Your work. May our giving spread Your love everywhere. Amen.

COMMISSIONING AND BENEDICTION
Faith leads us to the place where God is. God leads us to where the world is.
As people of faith we go out to share the love of God.
Faith tells us of the depths of life. God reminds us to work for justice in all we do.
As people of faith we go out to seek justice and resist evil.
Faith reminds us that we do not go alone. May God be with you every step of life’s journey; bringing life, bringing hope, bringing joy.
Thanks be to God! Amen.

Anyone out there read Dawkins? Opinions, thoughts, critiques?

ADD: The opening musings for the sermon are now posted here

2 comments:

  1. I'd probably read Dawkins (and Hitchens) if it weren't for the vitriol--it is just as tiresome as conservative Xian vitriol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think some of the most courageous Christians are the ones who acknowledge and admit doubt.

    One of the most powerful moments in my faith journey was when a pastor stood in the pulpit and said,

    There are times when I am up here speaking, and I know you're listening. By your body posture and your attitude, I know you're hearing me, and it seems that we are connected. I believe what I am saying, and I can see that you are agreeing with me. And at that point, sometimes, I hear this voice in the back of my head saying, Suppose everything you're saying is a lie...

    It was mindblowing. It was like opening a bottle of ginger ale and finding Bushmill's inside. I had never heard any person of faith - let alone a pastor - express any kind of doubt in my life. I thought that I would either wet myself or shout out loud!

    That was my first hint that maybe - just maybe - I might be eligible for this Heaven thing that all those Christian folk seemed to talk about. If this guy could get in, maybe I could, too.

    ReplyDelete