Friday, February 08, 2008

A Lenten Friday Five

As seen at RGBP

1. Did you celebrate Mardi Gras and/or Ash Wednesday this week? How? We went to the local Anglican Church for Pancakes on Tuesday. And on Wednesday Beloved and I went to a play The closest that comes to being an Ash Wednesday observance is that they held curtain for 10 minutes to allow people from the RC church next door to get over after mass.
2. What was your most memorable Mardi Gras/Ash Wednesday/Lent? None of them seem overly memorable. The most I guess would be the one year we did an Ash Wednesday service here. It is one of maybe 3 times I have attended an Ash Wednesday service.
3. Did you/your church/your family celebrate Lent as a child? If not, when and how did you discover it? Not particularly. WE always knew it was Lent, and when I was young the Anglican congregation shared our building and they always had a Pancake Supper for Shrove Tuesday. But in terms of traditional Lenten observances beyond that? Not so much.
4. Are you more in the give-up camp, or the take-on camp, or somewhere in between? When I have done anything it has been take-on, usually of working through a Daily meditation for the season.
5. How do you plan to keep Lent this year? Nothing special planned really.

3 comments:

  1. Holding the curtain--that is a small town, or one with lots of Catholics. They probably Lenten fish specials at the restaurants too--I kind of miss those from the Midwest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also try to be more diligent about my daily devotions during Lent. Most of the time, I catch up on a whole week's worth of devotions on Saturday. During Lent, I try to get to it everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can't find an e-mail address on this page, so I'll leave this link here:

    http://blog.christianitytoday.com/outofur/archives/2008/02/canadian_sermon.html

    Enjoy

    ReplyDelete