In the U.S., we're heading into a holiday weekend as we prepare to celebrate Independence Day. Although the topic of this meme may be inevitable, independence never is, so it couldn't hurt to stop and think for a minute about independence in a general way and holidays in a more trivial way.
1) Do you celebrate 4th of July (or some other holiday representing independence?) Canada Day, July 1st (once known as Dominion Day)
2) When was the first time you felt independent, if ever? First year seminary, first time I lived somewhere other than my childhood home. (true I went back for a couple years at a later date but so is life). THen later I learned that while Independence is important it is also important to know when it is time to be interdependent -- mind you I am still working on that one.
3) If you're hosting a cookout, what's on the grill? NOt hosting one. But we do attend the community party where hot dogs and corn on the cob are the menu du jour
4) Strawberry Shortcake -- biscuit or sponge cake? Discuss. If I must have some then sponge cake is my choice. But really I would prefer a nice cheese cake, or something ice creamy.
5) Fireworks -- best and worst experience Hm, a tough one. Best nwould be the fireworks at Expo 86 in Vancouver. They launched them off a barge in False Creek so you had the light reflecting off the water. Worst, well I am thinking of a time we bought those over the counter fireworks to set off at the lake -- it was a little underwhelming (sound and fury, signifying nothing).