Friday, December 01, 2006
Come 'Round Again to this Advent Season
THE RGBP FRiday Five
1) Do you observe Advent in your church? THat we do, in some form or another. Advent does mean "Christmas Pageant planning" right????
2) How about at home? NOt with candles. The last couple years we have done Advent calendars with the girls--this year each of the older has a chocolate a day calendar and we have a static cling window "Build the mager scene" calendar.
3) Do you have a favourite Advent text or hymn? NO. I have several. The title of this post comes from one of them "Advent Hope", written by a friend of mine. ALso there is the one the congregation is learning on Sunday "People Look East". ANd there is "Tomorrow Christ is COming" and the classic elegance of "O Come O COme Emmanuel"...
4) Why is one of the candles in the Advent wreath pink? (You may tell the truth, but I'll like your answer better if it's funny.) Pink? What pink? My mother always used 4 red candles because red went better with the Dining Room colours than blue or purple. But if you insist I suspect that someone ran out of dye one year and declared a new candle tradition to cover up the mistake.
5) What's the funniest/kitschiest Advent calendar you've ever seen? NOt sure that anything comes to mind. BUt for a calendar story--when I was growing up we had an actual Advent Calendar. Not one with doors for every day in December but one with four weeks worth of doors for the actual Advent season with Scripture passages and the story and all. Hm, must ask the parents if that still exists in their basement somewhere