Sunday, March 12, 2006

Right or Easy?

"Dark and difficult times lie ahead, Harry. Soon we must all face the choice between what is right...and what is easy."

Friday night we watched Goblet of Fire (a birthday treat) on DVD. And these words of Dumbledore's have stuck in my mind over and over all weekend. They find their way into a letter to the editor I am considering. They stick in my mind as I contemplate next Sunday's sermon in the Lenten series [Membership has its Privileges (and Responsibilities)]. They speak to me as I look forward a few weeks to Good Friday.

Why do they resonate so much at this time? I am not aware of a deep feeling of foreboding. Certainly the concept is not new to me. It is deep within the LOTR story, this concept of choosing between the right and the easy. They are deep in my political philosophy (popular or easy?). They are the choice between the path of the cross or of comfort. But for some reason they came at a time when I needed to meditate on them.

PS: Another line runs through my head this afternoon. But for the life of me I can't remember the source. It is now it is time for each one of us to decide who he [sic] is and what God expects of him [sic] (or something fairly close to that). Any one out there recognize it?

No comments:

Post a Comment